Press shutter, hear click Joe_Lorenzini's Avatar
    Real First Name
    Joe (I think)
    Camera
    Nikon
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    No
    Likes Given
    I've been seeing these huge "wings" traveling up and down the I35 over the last few weeks. One 18 wheeler can carry just one of the turbine wings and they are HUGE! I figured that was what they were for I just didn't know where.

This place I need to visit.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    James
    Camera
    Nikon D40
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I was just in Fort Stockton a few weeks ago and on I-10 you can see what must be thousands of them.
    I wanted to get closer but didn't see an easy way and didn't have time to go exploring.
    I'm headed back this weekend. Maybe I can get some pictures.
    They look big even from the highway.

I wonder how much they are going to save on our electricity bill?
    James

Still crazy after all these years

Real First Name
    Michael
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    I wonder how much they are going to save on our electricity bill?
    Save? It takes a lot of power to turn those big fans

The Indian Mesa Project has been around for since 2000. I know a guy that hunts with the dude that owns the ranch that the "fans" are on. It vaguely remember that you can get sort of close to some of them by turning north off of IH 10 on 349 toward Iraan.
    Blog
    I've got raw unbridled talent when it comes to making mistakes
    It's time to go fishing <*)}}}><

Real First Name
    Bob
    Camera
    Canon 7D
    No
    Likes Given
    I have a buddy that the electric co-op he works for in Oklahoma is in a partnership with a wind farm between Anadarko and Lawton. We made a deal. I shot his daughter's wedding and he got me a morning of sunrise shots on location at the wind farm.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Life is short. Break some rules.

Bob Phillips

Real First Name
    Cynthia
    Camera
    Canon 5D
    Yes
    Likes Given
    those are REALLY lovely photos bob! I thought I was the ONLY other person who had EVER HEARD of Anadarko! hehehe A friend of mine grew up in Anadarko.

Real First Name
    Al
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Great photos everyone and this thread has been a learning experience.

Bob - your second shot is outstanding (with the sunset).
    -Al
    ~ Retired from real work ~
    D200 & D70 w/ Nikkor 18-70, 70-300, SB800 SpeedLight, Kenko 2X TeleplusPro 300

Real First Name
    Jason
    Camera
    Canon 40D
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicdiver
    I have a buddy that the electric co-op he works for in Oklahoma is in a partnership with a wind farm between Anadarko and Lawton. We made a deal. I shot his daughter's wedding and he got me a morning of sunrise shots on location at the wind farm.
    How close can the general public get to those? I was up in the Wichita Mountains 2 weekends ago and noticed the farm. I live an hour away and never even knew it existed. I'd like to go back and take some windmill pictures.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS

Real First Name
    Bob
    Camera
    Canon 7D
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badgmc
    How close can the general public get to those? I was up in the Wichita Mountains 2 weekends ago and noticed the farm. I live an hour away and never even knew it existed. I'd like to go back and take some windmill pictures.
    The best close-up of views without actually being on the site, that I have seen is along the east side of the farm (you were close enough to hear the whiring from the blades and having a hard time not filling a wide angle lens). From the south side, the closest I could get was the photo below, which isn't that close at all. The first time I drove by, I saw some dirt roads that lead closer, but I didn't want to press my luck with an irate farmer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bob Phillips

Real First Name
    Joshua
    Likes Given
    I just went up to Abilene yesterday and drove right through the ones around Buffalo Gap and on my way home, I noticed at one point to the left side of the highway, there is a tiny normal(old school) windmill between two of the big ones. Needless to say, it is dwarved by the giants. Reminded me of Don Quixote fighting the windmills...
    Canon 350D
    Canon 400D
    Canon 50 1.8II
    Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6
    Tokina ATX 100mm 2.8 Pro D Macro
    Canon BG-E3 Grip
    Canon Speedlite 580EX TTL
    Sekonic L-558 Dual Master

Account Banned DEMDeepEllumMusic's Avatar
    Real First Name
    Paul
    Camera
    Kodak SLRN
    No
    Likes Given
    Went by there near sunset tonight-took Hwy 70 out of Sweetwater and then went on back county roads all over the area and then Farm road 216 east to Trent. There has to be over 4,000 of those suckers over the 20+ miles that I traveled along those mesas, heck you go past a group thinking they would be the last group and you go a bit further south and there would be a whole new group of them. Some were GE turbines while others had no markings and had slightly different shapes. I actually walked within about 50 ft of one of the towers out in a cotton field that didn't have any fence up on it ( I actually probably could have walked right up to the tower itself but didn't think that angle would have made a good shot anyway. Didn't ever see any signs as to what company owned any of these units so not sure of some of the ranchers themselves have put units up or if an outside utility has done this. I had to have seen dozens of ranch names over entrances many of which were founded in the late 1800's or around the turn of the 20th Century as I drove around the area for around 90 minutes taking pics. These suckers are huge but actually pretty quite and the blades were turning in what I would call a low breeze, I bet not even 10 mph.
    I have photos up on my pbase album www.pbase.com/pgkps and also found out that a lot of them are owned by a Utility based out of Florida and they plan to add more units but I believe that there are more than one Utility with units installed. This is supposed to be the largest concentration of them in the world! I'm glad to see them since they are supplying electricity without burning more fossil fuels and they are helping to keep the air cleaner in Texas so that we have nice sunsets. Sorry for some poor schlub who may have his view off of his porch "ruined" by them but I bet the ranchers and farmers who have them on their land are happy since they are gaining revenue from them.
    Last edited by DEMDeepEllumMusic; 06-29-2007 at 08:54 AM.

N. Richland Hills, (Ft. Worth) Texas, Texas
    Real First Name
    Paul
    Camera
    Canon 1DMkIII
    Yes
    Likes Given

Reviving an old thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogleg 44
    I've been by there. It is S of I-20 before you get to Sweetwater (from the East). An Impressive sight to say the least. I have to go back out there in June. I'm going to make a point of checking it out.
    I ventured off to the West Yesterday heading for the Little Texas Town of Sweetwater. Hundreds of these guys reside on the hills South of I-20, West of Abilene, to South of Sweetwater.. When I say Hundreds, I Ain't Kidding! I mean Many Many Hundreds!!! I hate to use the word Thousands, but it probably fits!!!

Take a look at this picture below. I over photoshop-ed it to make the windmills show better on the skyline. Those little things sticking up on the crest of the hills aren't Cactus thorns. They are all these Wind Powered Electrical Generators.

To give a little better perspective of their size. These are easily 3 to 5 miles from my vantage point.

These are hard to see against the cloudy sky, but those are the windmills.

Your Future Electrical Energy Source!
    Paul A. Valentine
    Valentine-Photography ♥ ♥ Valentine Services
    Photograph! An immediate and unpretentious capturing and freezing of a moment in time.

Real First Name
    Bob
    Camera
    Canon 7D
    No
    Likes Given
    I like the photo #3 where you're driving down the country road and the windmills are directly in front of you. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Phillips

Real First Name
    Dean
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    i'm glad all ya'll are enjoying the windmills, i live in view which is just south of abilene in the "hill country of west texas" i hate'em i sought out and bought property specifically for the hill views and sunsets! i will never shoot another sunset from the house without tose dam things destroying the view!!! they are a nusinace and there ugly! sorry just my two cents worth.....

Real First Name
    Bob
    Camera
    Canon 7D
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by rdking91
    they are a nusinace and there ugly! sorry just my two cents worth.....
    What's ugly to me is my electric bill when I open it and see how high it is because of our dependency of fossil fuels. Three or four of those windmills can lite up a town of 6,000 people and wind will continue to be cheaper than fossil fuels, I've got a feeling.

Don't get me started, either. I hate radio station towers. Bastids in Austin place them directly across Lake Austin from Mount Bonnell. Talk about screwing up a sunset photo.

Bob Phillips

Real First Name
    Joshua
    Likes Given
    Telephone poles and billboards...
    Canon 350D
    Canon 400D
    Canon 50 1.8II
    Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6
    Tokina ATX 100mm 2.8 Pro D Macro
    Canon BG-E3 Grip